Library Cards & PINs
How to Get a Library Card
- Photo I.D. and/or proof of residency required.
- Use in any Allegheny county library.
- Adults and children, no age limit.
- It’s free!
You may only have one Library card at a time, if a card is lost, a replacement card may be issued for a fee. Cards may not be issued to third parties. You must be present to sign for you Library card. Applicants must have proof of identity and proof of residency. Current driver’s license is preferred, but the Library will accept a utility bill, lease, etc. accompanied by photo identification.
PINs and Barcodes
- To apply, go to My Account page
- You can renew your items 3 times.
- If an item is checked out or located at another branch, you can place a hold and have it sent to the location of your choice.
- Place holds in the Library catalog, in person or on the phone by calling 412-882-6622.
- We will notify you when the item is available for pickup and place it on our hold shelf for seven days.
- You may have up to 30 active holds on your library account at any given time.
- If you would like to request materials not owned by WPL, you can request an Interlibrary Loan
Renew materials one of these ways:
- Login online to your list of checked out items
- Visit at any location in person
- Call us at 412-882-6622 during library open hours.
What You Can Borrow
There is a LIMIT of 5 items per card on the following items:
- Audio Books on Cassette or CD
- Music CDs
- Children’s computer software
- Adult computer software
- Non-Fiction books per subject
- 50¢ per day – For Whitehall Public Library Videos, DVD’s and CD ROM’s
- 25¢ per day – Whitehall Public Library adult material
- 10¢ per day – Whitehall Public Library children’s material
Please note: fines over $2.00 can be paid online with a credit card by going into an individual library card account online through the library’s web site. A PIN number must be created to access a library card account online. Follow the instructions given on the screen. Library staff members have no access to PIN numbers, but can help if you need to reset an existing PIN.