Pan-Fried Chicken with Lemony Roasted Broccoli
Spring finally has arrived, and bright, fresh flavors taste even better as we anticipate warmer weather. In its April 2021 issue, Prevention Magazine features a “20-minute meal under $10” chicken and broccoli dish that pairs the zesty tang of lemon with garlic. Pan-Fried Chicken with Lemony Roasted Broccoli begins in the oven, continues on the stovetop, returns to the oven, and is finished with an olive oil and lemon sauce that is whisked on the stovetop.
- 1 1/2 pounds broccoli (cut into florets)
- 2 cloves of garlic (thinly sliced)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 4 6-ounce boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 lemon (cut into thin 1/2-inch thick slices)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup water
- Heat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. On rimmed baking sheet, toss the broccoli and garlic with 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Roast 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pound the chicken breasts to an even thickness and season with 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper, then dredge in the flour. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in large skillet on medium-high and cook chicken until golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Nestle chicken amid broccoli and roast until chicken is cooked through and broccoli is golden brown and tender, about 6 minutes.
- Return skillet to medium heat; add 1 tablespoon olive oil, then the lemon slices and cook, stirring, until beginning to brown, about three minutes. Add the lemon juice and water and cook, stirring and scraping up any browned bits. Spoon over chicken and serve with broccoli.