Taco Bell Breakfast Burrito
Are you craving Cracker Barrel’s Hashbrown Casserole, but aren’t driving down an interstate that would lead you to the home-style restaurant and country store? Or does your teenager want to swing by Starbucks for a Mocha Frappuccino, but her debit card is lacking funds?
Recipes to satisfy your dining-out and carry-out cravings are featured in Taste of Home’s new cookbook, Copycat Restaurant Favorites!
I recently made the Egg Burritos recipe by Audra Niederman of Aberdeen, South Dakota. It’s inspired by Taco Bell’s Grilled Breakfast Burrito. If you want to begin your day with a hot, but very simple breakfast, try this one. You can either make just one or a couple, or prepare the full recipe and freeze leftovers for hectic mornings. “Then just zap one in the microwave before you leave the house,” suggests Niederman. To me, that beats waiting in the drive-through line!
The full recipe makes 10 burritos and calls for 12 chopped bacon strips, a dozen large eggs, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. pepper, 10 warmed 8-inch flour tortillas, 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese and four thinly sliced green onions.
My husband and I tried the burritos twice. The first time, we followed the recipe very closely by reheating two slices of precooked bacon and scrambling four eggs. We divided the scrambled eggs between the two tortillas and topped them with crumbled bacon and cheese before rolling them into burritos. The second time, we customized it a bit to our tastes, which, when you have the time, makes cooking at home so much better than takeout! We toasted our tortillas over the gas flame — be very careful and watch each side closely if you do this. We didn’t have bacon on hand, but instead used some leftover jarred salsa, which really punched up the flavor!
Other delicious-sounding recipes include:
- Cappuccino Cinnamon Rolls, inspired by Cinnabon’s Cinnamon Rolls (pictured on the cookbook’s cover)
- Soft Giant Pretzels, inspired by Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery’s Ball Park Pretzels
- Sweet & Spicy Asian meatballs, inspired by Noodles & Company’s Korean BBQ Meatballs
- Oven-Fried Pickles, inspired by Red Robin’s Fried Pickle Nickels
- Strawberry Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing, inspired by Panera Bread’s Strawberry Poppyseed Salad
- Four-Cheese Chicken Fettuccine, inspired by Olive Garden’s Chicken Alfredo
- Best Ever Cheesecake, inspired by The Cheesecake Factory’s Original Cheesecake
Taste of Home’s Copycat Restaurant Favorites is available for request at Whitehall Public Library. Call us today, or add it to your holds list by clicking here.